PACHAKAPPURA

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

CURD RICE- Thayir Saadam


Curd is very good fo cooling our body. curd is also called yogurt but i think both are different. curd is prepared by adding sour things like tamarind, lemon or vinegar buttermilk to the warm milk .But yogurt is like adding some bacteria and we can add fruits and other things also in yogurts. I used to make curd in home. In Malayalam, Curd is called 'Thayir', in Tamil also it is 'thayir' and in telugu it is 'Perugu', and in hindi it is 'dahi'. I love medium sour curd not the sweet one. and i like almost all the dishes on curd and especially the Curd Rice. It is easy to cook and tasty also. I learnt it from my Amma. She never taught me how to cook a dish like this or like that. She believes that in each and every girlchild a quick learning ability is there and they will do things their own when time came and I now know that her readings are correct. Because I only watched her in kitchen, the way she move, the fastness in her movements, the way she cleans the vessels just after cooking….a perfect style with great speed. Curd Rice preparation also I learnt from her.

If we search the origin of curd rice, I am not sure to which state it belongs. But one thing im sure that it is a true south Indian one. My Tamil friends love curdrice. And Tamil people have a variety of 'Saadams'(rices- lemon rice, mango rice, puliyoghre, thakkali rice(tomato rice…….). Now back to my curd rice.
Ingredients


Rice - 2cps
Curd - 2 cup sour curd
Milk - 3/4 cup milk
Salt - for taste
Asafoetida

powder - a pinch
Oil - 3 tsp
Mustard
seeds - 3 tspn
Uraddal - 2 tspn
Curry leaves
Red chillies - 2 numbers

Preparation
Buy good quality white rice (not the basmati rice), bcse white rice will take less time for cooking compared to brown rice. Wash the rice cook it in a cooker and take it out when cooker is cool. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, curryleaves(if you have them in your garden or in your fridge. In delhi I think it is a costly one because I bought them for 5 rupees for a twig with some 15 leaves). Add urad dal, add two red chillies. Then stop the fire. Remove the pan. Add the curd(blend the curd with a spoon and make it soft)to the cool rice, add milk and with a spoon mix rice, curd and milk and add salt also. Add the oil, mustardseeds, curryleaves and chillies to the rice. Yes your tast curd rice is ready. You can eat it with hot mango pickles or any other pickles, pappads etc
………..

1 comment:

  1. great...let me try this n ma home...i ddnt know that u started to spread ur waves in cooking too..!!! great...:)

    Expectng more from u...

    ReplyDelete